Who is a Class Member
The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Hospital Payments Class Action Settlement includes “all direct purchasers of healthcare services from a Michigan General Acute Care Hospital between January 1, 2006 and May 23, 2019.” Specifically, the Class includes:
- “Individuals who paid Michigan General Acute Care Hospitals in the form of co-pays, co-insurance, or otherwise;
- Insurers that paid Michigan General Acute Care Hospitals for their insureds; and
- Self-insured entities whose health plan participants received healthcare services at Michigan General Acute Care Hospitals.”
There are over 130 general acute care hospitals in Michigan. A list of these hospitals is available here.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of otheryou may be eligible for.
- $15, $25, or more depending on your individual hospital payments
The size of your payment will be determined by:
- Which general acute care hospital(s) in Michigan the Class Member paid;
- The amounts paid to the hospital(s) from January 1, 2006 through May 23, 2019; and
- Which insurer paid the hospital, provided the insurance coverage, or administered the self-insured plan.
Proof of Purchase
- You have the option to provide records of your hospital payments; if you choose not to provide documentation, you will probably receive a lesser payout.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Hospital Payments Settlement Notes
- The Shane Group, Inc. v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Case No. 2:10-cv-14360
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
This class action lawsuit alleges that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan had clauses in its contracts with 70 Michigan General Acute Care Hospitals that violated antitrust laws and inflated prices for medical care at certain Michigan hospitals. Specifically, the plaintiffs claim that by using “most favored nation” clauses in contract with general acute care hospitals in Michigan, BCBSM artificially inflated prices for healthcare services and patients were forced to pay more for hospital visits.
BCBSM denies each and every allegation of unlawful conduct but agreed to settle the case for nearly $30 million. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Hospital Payments Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or opt-out of the settlement must do so by June 31, 2019. Class members who wish to submit a claim will need to do so by June 15, 2019.
- 11/3/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 9/16/18 Exclusion or Objection Deadline
- 11/8/18: Final approval hearing at 2:00 pm ET (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check check MichiganHospitalPaymentsLitigation.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Shane Group v. BCBSM Settlement, Epiq, Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 3240, Portland, OR 97208-3240
- Phone: 877-846-0588
- Email: info@MichiganHospitalPaymentsLitigation.com
- Daniel A. Small and Brent W. Johnson of Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC